Monday, May 26, 2008

Facing A Challenge





UPDATE: My digital altered book is in! Check out the link on the right sidebar under "My Digital Altered Books". It's called "Fairy Castles and Palaces Described by Isabella". They did a fine job of converting it.

Here is my latest endeavor. I get easily distracted, did I ever mention that? I'm taking a break from paintovers for just a minute. I have been browsing through my latest books on dolls: paper dolls, fabric dolls, clay dolls, everything dolls since that is what's been on my mind lately. And after looking through some of the art blogs about dolls that I have bookmarked, I decided I wanted to try this. I'm not ready for polymer clay. I don't want to mess with baking it, and I'm not really interested in learning how to roll it, condition it, etc.

I was going to use paper clay, but I've had this package of air-dry clay longer so I thought I would start with it. I've had the face molds for awhile knowing in the back of my mind I wanted to try this one day. Well, "one day" came last night. I decided to go for it. So, I opened the package and started in. I made so many because a) I've never done this before and didn't know how they would turn out and b) I've also never painted them before and still don't know how they will turn out. So, I figured I better make plenty of them to practice on.

The first couple of faces were a little rough, so those I will paint first! I still want to try the paper clay because I've been reading how the doll makers rave about it. Anyway, this was my first go round and tonight I'll start painting them. You are supposed to let this stuff air dry for about 24 hours.

I still love my brides and my paintovers and will continue those. That last one with all of the crystals was a strain on my eyes! Such little crystals, even with the tweezers. But, I love her and am glad I did that one.

The bodies for these little dolls are going to be another challenge for another blog post. I've got some ideas brewing and I'm not sure how they will translate to real life. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Have you tried working with paper clay yet? If yes, how did it go?

Joanne

Pam Tucker said...

No, I haven't tried it yet. I have a pkg here ready to use. Will let you know when I try it.