Thursday, July 3, 2008

Paintovers Revisited!


Here is the latest in my series of bridal paintovers. You can click on the image to get a closer look. Oh, how I wish I lived closer to Lisa Bebi, the artist who introduced these fun paintings! I saw in her blog, "Pimp My Spleen" (see sidebar) that she held a class on this technique. I would have LOVED to take part in that! But, she lives in California so it would be a bit far to attend. And, in the latest issue of Somerset Studio I saw that she is hosting an art retreat in Italy with another artist! Oh, how fun that would be... Someday I would love to go on a little art retreat somewhere. But first I would have to overcome my fear of flying! :) For an art retreat, I may just be able to endure it ...

These are a lot of fun to play with. I have a whole folder of bridal images (that's my latest obsession for paintovers) so I'll be posting them as they are completed. I'm really loving these metallic paints that I picked up in Wisconsin, so I thought I would jazz up her eye makeup with those.

Today I hope to work on glamour doll's gown. I found some gorgeous sapphire blue taffeta yesterday. I kept staring at her trying to figure out what color would do her justice, and she kept whispering, "I want deep blue..." but I didn't have any. I showed her all of the other gorgeous colors, but she kept shaking her head NO and whispering, "deep blue". So, I promised to look for some blue material when I was out yesterday. Then she insisted on taffeta. What? In this small town? We'll see... Lo and behold, there was some absolutely fabulous sapphire blue taffeta at JoAnn's Fabric. Now, we are all set to try and configure a little glamour gown. Wish me luck.

On the Artella site (see sidebar) I have some dear e-friends who always comment nicely on my work. One of the artists there, Harqn2, suggested I make my own doll out of my swirly girl paintover. I may just take her up on her suggestions for how to accomplish that. She also told me that once you start making dolls they become addictive. She has created some beautiful art dolls, so she knows what she's talking about. There is such an abundance of talent at Artella. Check out their galleries sometime; beautiful work and a wonderfully supportive bunch of artists. They are a Godsend! There is also a daily Musepaper containing all things artistic. So much fun! I read it every morning with my coffee. And sometimes, yours truly is even featured on the front page. :)

A quick shout-out goes to my absolute GEM of a mother-in-law Lydia! Hi, Lydia!! I hear she's been spreading the word about my blog to her friends. Thank you so much! Lydia is a tremendous quilter. She has created such beautiful works of art with her quilts. I am fortunate enough to have a few of her beautiful creations. The crowning jewel is a Monet-inspired masterpiece that I will post on the blog in the next day or two. I must take a photo that will do it justice! Maybe hubby can help with the technical part of that. It's absolutely breathtaking and was one of my mom's favorite pieces to ooh and ahh over while she was alive.

Well, time to get to work. Thank you for your kind notes and e-mails. I love hearing from you. Stay tuned for glamour girl's debut and a little fairy that I'm working on...

No comments: