Sunday, October 12, 2008

"Read To Me"

This is a digital collage I made from the elements in the latest studio kit, "School Days", that I received through my Artella membership. If you click on the image, you'll get a larger picture. Each month they send you a nice digital studio kit and then they have a monthly contest for the kit recipients to submit whatever you decided to create from the kit. There are usually quite a number of files of background papers, brushes, images, etc. to choose from. I haven't done anything with a kit for awhile so I thought I would enter this little collage; the title is: "Read To Me". Some people print out the images and adhere them to canvas or watercolor paper; it's all up to you what you want to do with the images.

I remember when I learned to read. What a world that opened up! Mom would take me to the library and I could pick out any book I wanted to read! These images brought some of that magic back to me. I remember she would get a huge stack of books for herself and I couldn't believe she was going to read all of them. She usually did, too. Mom was a very fast reader. I am, too. That's one of the multitude of gifts that she passed on to me! Thank you, Mom! I love you!! I know she hears me in heaven. :)

Well, I'm finally starting an art journal. I've had a sketch book laying around here forever, and I bought it with the intention of starting a journal, but I just never knew where to start. The blank pages were intimidating and I could never figure out what to put on them. Thanks to the art journal course I've signed up for from Artella I now have a place to begin. It's a really cool course and it goes slow. That way, you have time to work on a journal page before the next lesson (about every 4 days). So, I'm working on my first page now and when I finish, I'll post it.

I've always envied some of the beautiful journal pages I've seen from other artists. How do they come up with these ideas! Wish me luck as I start on my own journey. It's like any art project: just jump in and do it. There's no right or wrong way to do a journal page; I know that. I just didn't want to "mess" up my sketch book. Duh! It's for experimenting!! So, that's what's new right now.

I'm also working on my first ATC art doll for the Halloween theme. I am loving this project! I get to make 4 dolls on ATC's and when I send them in, I'll get 5 back in return. The hostess sends you one of hers in addition to the other swappers! And, of course, I'm still trying to come up with another 60's Flashback ATC. All of these will be posted when finished.

I did check to see where our Magic Key ATC's were. It's been a while since I sent mine in. The hostess said some people were late getting their cards in by the deadline and as soon as they were all received we would get ours. I think for future swaps, she has an alternate plan for late senders. When I get those, I'll post them here.

No comments: